THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
From the Hebrew bible, Book Shemos (Exodus), Parsha Yisro (Mose’s father-in-law)
Verse 20 (1-18)
God spoke all the Ten Commandments in one single utterance. He then went back and specified each one individually
1. The Jewish people responded (“Yes” to the positive commands and “No” to the prohibitions)
2.”I am God, the God for every one of you, Who took you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3. You shall not possess an idol of other deities.
4. You shall not make for yourself a sculptured image or any picture of that which is in the heavens above, which is on the earth below or which is in the water beneath the earth
5. You shall not bow down before them nor worship them for God, your God, am a God who is zealous to enact punishment . Who visits the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons, upon the third and the fourth generation of those who continue in their father’s ways to hate Me.
6.”But, I am kindly to those who love Me and to those who keep My commandments for two thousand generations.
7. You shall not take the name of God, your God, in vain for God will not absolve anyone who takes His name in vain.”
8. Remember the Sabbath day to sanctify it.
9. Six days may you work and perform all your labor
10. But the seventh day is a sabbath to God, your God. You shall perform no labor, neither you, your son, your daughter, your manservant, your beast nor your convert who is within your gates
11. For in six days God made the heavens, the earth and the sea — and all that is in them — and he then rested, so to speak, on the seventh day. Therefore, God blessed the Sabbath day by causing a double portion of manna to fall on Friday and sanctified by not bringing the manna on the Sabbath.
12. Honor your father and your mother, in order that your days will be lengthened on the land that God, your God, is giving you”
13. You shall not murder.
” You shall not commit adultery.
“You shall not steal (people i.e. kidnap).”
” You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.”
14. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, his manservant, his maidservant, his ax, his donkey, or whatever belongs to your neighbor.”
15. All the people could see the sounds (which God spoke), the torches, the sound of the shofar, and the smoking mountain. The people saw and they trembled and they withdrew backwards the full length of the camp.
16. They said to Moshe, ” You speak to us, and we will listen, but do not let God speak to us lest we die”
17. Moshe said to the people,”Fear not, for God has come to promote your reputation throughout the world and in order that having seen his awe, you shall know there is no other than Him so that you will not sin”
18.The people remained a long way off. Moshe drew near, first through the darkness, then to the cloud and deeper still to the fog, where God was. .
To subscribe to Israel Commentary: Send your email address to email@example.com
Web Page: https://israel-commentary.org Please “Like” on Facebook: 1. Israel Commentary 2) Jerome S. Kaufman